Barbara Campbell gave a report on the “Vital Congregation Initiative” at the November presbytery meeting. She highlighted the seven marks of a vital congregation – noting what vital
congregations are and are not. They are:
- LIFELONG Discipleship Formation VS Complacent
“Christian” piety, simply teaching good morals, or offering the
- Intentional Authentic Evangelism VS “Jesus freaks”;
“Christian” Hypocrisy; A committee.
- Outward Incarnational Focus VS Inward Institutional Survival; Closed communities of assimilation/exclusion.
- Empower Servant Leadership VS the Pastor’s job; monopolized leadership; hiring the young energetic
pastor; burning out good volunteers.
- Caring Relationships VS Any other Social Club; façades, hypocrisy, and judgment of “church” and
- Ecclesial Health VS Unhealthy dysfunction; toxic environments; obsolete and irrelevant buildings
The purpose of the Vital Congregations Initiative is to work alongside
leaders of existing congregations continually assessing, discerning and living
into faithful actions that increase vitality through intentional spiritual practices
that take them deeper into following Jesus Christ, so that their own lives are
changed, congregations are transformed and the mission of God spreads
throughout particular communities and the world. For more information and
access to resources click here.